Mustang Trek via Muktinath
Highlights of the Trekking
- Mysterious landscapes of Mustang including Lo-manthang, Charang, Ghami village.
- Large numbers of ancient monasteries with primitive monuments, caves, etc.
Mustang Trek with Muktinath is the walking package to reach Upper Mustang region of Nepal. The package is known best among travel planners and our valued customers as Mustang Trek Optional. Find out great secrets of hidden last forbidden kingdom of Nepal. Journey never fails to astound trekkers as the place is mythical allures of Mother Nature and grandeurs of Tibetan Culture. Unique Adventure International offers best packages for trekking in Nepal especially in Upper Mustang region. Trekkers can find varieties of options to experience such splendid village beyond White Mountains. It would be amazing for any travelers to witness world’s deepest gorge, village surrounded by snowcapped mountains and monasteries.
Journey is really an awesome from start to end. Trekkers will start walking along the Kaligandaki River after arriving in Jomsom via flight from Pokhara. The place is considered as the windiest town of Nepal. As trekkers trek past the Kagbeni on the bank of holy Kaligandaki River originated from Damodar Kunda they will start to notice the change in vegetation and landscape. The usual sight of mountain on northern side shifts to southern side as well. The gorge and the landscape worth every click of pictures as possible and we bet you that you can get world class photos from this place’s journey. Mustang Trek with Muktinath or Mustang Trek Optional takes you to capital of forbidden kingdom of Upper Mustang. Stroll around Lo Man Thang Area for the amazing understanding of Tibetan cultured people residing in Nepal for ages. These people are highly cultural and one can see their traditional aspects during Tiji Festival as well. On return trekkers will have detailed visit of Muktinath Temple above Kagbeni village.
Book the Mustang Trek with Muktinath or Mustang Trek Optional with us and explore magnificent combination of culture, nature and mountains. Journey to this mystical place of Nepal worth every penny spent for it. Visit once and you won’t regret.
Day 01 : Arrival at Kathmandu; transfer to the hotel
On your arrival, you will be welcomed by our representative of Unique Adventure at Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) but reassure about our representative with a display board at the arrival gate. You will be then taken to the hotel where you can either relax in the afternoon or hang around. You will have a dinner in a traditional Nepalese restaurant where we take pleasure in a Nepalese cultural program as well. We will be staying in a hotel for overnight.
Day 02 : Stay in Kathmandu for sightseeing and official procedure, overnight at hotel
After having breakfast in the morning, our sightseeing trip will begin. The Swayambhunath (the Monkey temple), Pashupatinath temple, Boudhanath; Patan Durbar Square, Bhaktapur Durbar Square and Kathmandu Durbar Square are the main sightseeing attractions in Kathmandu valley which are rich in art and architecture. Later in the afternoon, we will have a final preparations and short briefing for the trek. We will stay overnight in a hotel.
Day 03 : Depart to Pokhara, overnight at hotel
After breakfast, early in the morning you will arrive at Pokhara after a drive for nearly 6 hours. You will be able to have a wonderful panorama of river and scenery all the way through your drive. Or, you might also take a flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara in half an hour. You will be taken to your hotel and with a relaxing afternoon. You can even visit around lakeside region or you can go for boating at famous Fewa Lake. We will be staying overnight in the hotel.
Day 04 : Fly to Jomsom (2710m.) and start trek to Kagbeni (2800m.), overnight at camp
On this day, you will fly to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni alongside Kaligandaki, the deepest gorge in the entire world. After trekking for around three and half hours you will arrive at Kagbeni where you can see the ancient houses, few monasteries, temples and more. Overnight in Kagbeni
Day 05 : Trek to Chele (3050m.), overnight at camp
From Kagbeni, we move further toward Chele early in the morning today. The track still moves alongside the bank of Kaligandaki. We cross the villages of Chunksang and Tangbe. And, before arriving at Chele we have to come across a bridge over Kaligandaki and go up abruptly up for around 35 minutes to reach Chele Village. Overnight, in camp at Chele.
Day 06 : Trek to Syangmochen (3650m.), overnight at camp
We leave Chele, we will start our trek to Shyangmochen. We come across the passes like Taklam La (3240m.), Yemdo pass (4000m.), Baga La and Dzong La (3550m.). You will be trekking passing through arresting communities of Yemdo, Samar and Bhona. Then, we enter Shyangmochen. Overnight in Shyangmochen.
Day 07 : Trek to Ghami (3510m.), overnight at camp
As in all arid regions in Mustang on the way to Ghami too most houses are build out of mud, stones with roof of straw and a combination of mud, pebbles. After walking for 5 hours we will reach to Ghami. Here we stay overnight at camp.
Day 08 : Trek to Dhakmar (3820m), overnight at camp
Day 09 : Trek to Tsarang (Charang - 3620m.), overnight at camp
The splendid views of the landscape the gentle curve of the north dissimilar to the uneven mountain gorge in the east and west are arresting part of the trek. We walk for around 5 hours which brings us to Charang, a large broaden village occupied by the people of Lo, actually of Tibetan origin. The aged monastery and the adjacent Gompa are supposed to be some 500 years old and surrounded by some of the best religious wall paintings. Tonight at camp inTsarang.
Day 10 : Trek to Lo Manthang (3840m.), overnight at hotel
On this day, we trek to Lo-Mangthang, the capital region of Mustang. The 300 meters long and 150 meters broad wall has sheltered the region against robbers and the brutal winds. The small area of Lo-Mangthang is occupied by more than a 1000 inhabitants whose houses are connected by fine rope stone lanes. Overnight in Lo Manthang.
Day 11 : Rest day in Lo Manthang and explore around, overnight at camp
Today we have a rest day in Lo Manthang, we will walk around Lomanthang whole day and visit kingâ€™s palace, low caste settlements, monasteries, herbal medical school and more. Overnight in Lo Manthang.
Day 12 : Trek to Tsarang (Charang - 3620m)), overnight at camp
Day 13 : Trek to Tange (3370m), overnight at camp
Day 14 : Trek to Tetang (3000m.), overnight at camp
We today walk all the way through a vertical ridge of hills which offers some very well views of the lush hills. Tetang village lies between two hills and is identified as the upper village of Chuksang. We stay overnight at camp in Tetang.
Day 15 : Trek to Muktinath (3800m.), overnight at camp
On this day, we go up steeply to Muktinath (3880m.). This is one of the most noteworthy holy sites for Hindus. Sanctified water flows from the 108 taps nearby the Vishnu temple. Muktinath is also home to many tribal Tibetans and Buddhists, who visit the temple. You can also see fire eternally burning by natural gas underground. Overnight at camp in Muktinath.
Day 16 : Trek to Jomsom (2710m.), overnight at hotel
It takes around 5 hours to reach Jomsom (2720m.) from Muktinath (3800m.). You start the trek moving down the spectacular Kali Gandaki ravine. After passing via Jharkot and Khingar settlements with classic Tibetan art and architecture, you tag on path down to Kagbeni, a prehistoric village renowned for Tibetan art. Now your track passes all the way through the shore of Kali Gandaki and come across the Eklebhatti. Jomsom, headquarter of Mustang is divided into two settlements and Kali Gandaki river passes between these two settlements. In Jomsom, you can enjoy the splendid views of Nilgiri, Tilicho peak. Overnight at hotel in Jomsom.
Day 17 : Fly to Pokhara (920m.), overnight at hotel
We fly from Jomsom to Pokhara, taking around 20 minutes. The major attractions of Pokhara are natural as well as cultural sites such as lakes, temples of Hindus and Buddhist, caves, mountain views. You can view the north region across the hill, Phewa lake to thesnow peaks of the Annapurna, Manaslu, Dhaulagiri ranges. Overnight at Lodge in Pokhara.
Day 18 : Back to Kathmandu (1350m.), overnight at hotel
Leaving behind the wonderful countryside morning, we travel for 6 hours we return back to Kathmandu. We can either take a vehicle for a drive or fly back from the beautiful city Pokhara. On arrival at Kathmandu you will be shifted to the hotel. You can then relax for rest of the day and stay overnight at hotel.
Day 19 : Leisure day in Kathmandu, overnight at hotel
We can go around Kathmandu valley, if some important places have been missed according to your choices. After the hectic schedules of trek, today you can either go for shopping or have a day rest before departing from Nepal.
Day 20 : Transfer to airport, departure onward destination
This is your last day of your Mustang Trek via Muktinath, our airport representative will drop you to the airport and you will depart from Nepal.
What is included?
- 4 nights twin sharing accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast as per the programme.
- 2 nights twin sharing accommodation in Pokhara with breakfast as per the programme.
- All meals with hot beverages whilst on terkking.
- Guesthouse and tented Camp accommodation whilst on trekking.
- Upper Mustang special trekking permit fee, Annapurna Conservation Area permit Fee & TIMS permit fee.
- Domestic flights (Pokhara - Jomsom - Pokhara) inclusive with airport tax.
- An experienced fluent English speaking trekking guide, trained by ministry of Culture, Tourism & Civil Aviation.
- Highly experienced well equipped, cook, kitchen helper, trekking porter(s).
- Staffs (guide, cook, kitchen helper and porters) wages, allowances, transportation, food, accommodation, euipment & insurance.
- All necessary ground transportation (Kathmandu - Pokhara - Kathmandu).
- Escorted airport transfers.
- First aid medical kit, trekking map and duffel bag.
- All governmental procedure and applicable taxes as per the government rules and regulations.
- Farewell dinner in Kathmandu at typical Nepali restaurant.
What is not included?
- Meals at Kathmandu and Pokhara (except breakfast and farewell dinner).
- Extra hotel in Kathmandu and Pokhara (after 4 nights in Kathmandu, after 2 nights in Pokhara).
- Personal nature expenses (telephone, laundry etc.).
- Bar and beverage bills.
- Your International flights.
- Your Travel Insurance (Mandatory).
- Rescue & Evacuation if needed.
- Gratitude (tip) for staffs.
Recommended Gear Lists:
- Good wind/rain jacket
- Warm fleece jacket or jersey
- Good boots, either light-weight trekking boots or light full leather boots
- Good -20 Sleeping bag (which can be rented or buy in Kathmandu)
- A comfortable day pack, preferably with a waistband.
- Fleece jacket or pullover
- Fleece Wind-Stopper jacket (optional)
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell jacket
- Down vest and/or jacket (optional)
- Lightweight gloves
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens with a waterproof shell outer
- Sun hat or scarf
- Light balaclava or warm fleece hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Hiking shorts
- Lightweight cotton long pants
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottom
- Fleece or wool pants
- Waterproof (preferably breathable fabric) shell pants
- Thin, lightweight inner socks
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks
- Hiking boots with spare laces
- Camp shoes (sneakers and/or sandals)
Other necessary equipment:
- Headlamp (e.g. Petzl Zoom) with spare bulbs and batteries
- Small pad or combination lock-to-lock trek bag
- Basic First Aid Kit (We also provide comprehensive first aid medical kit and Oxymeter)
- Large plastic bags - for keeping items dry inside trek bag
- Day pack (approximately 2500 to 3000 cubic inches)
- Water bottles (2 bottles recommended)
- Small wash towel
We would like you to know that although we try to follow the program given above, at times local trails or weather conditions may compel us to make slight changes if necessary. The itinerary may also vary slightly subject to our trekkers' acclimatization rates. This odyssey goes into untamed territory above the timberline, so we seek to request maximum flexibility if and when required for the safety of your trip and your life. Thank you so much for your understanding. We value your precious life.
US $ 2,090 per personQuick Inquiry Forward to friend
Quick Fact of the Trip
- Trip Duration : 20 days
- Best Season : Spring, Summer & Autumn
- Country : Nepal
- Min Altitude : 2700 meter
- Max Altitude : 3840 meter
- Trip starts : Kathmandu
- Trip ends : Kathmandu
- Group size : Min – 2
Your Travel guide
Trip by Locals connects travelers with local Travel Guide here you'll find all the essential information you need to plan the perfect trip.
Ram Adhikari (Rewati)
Dev Bahadur Shrestha