Ice Col Trekking
We follow our journey as it emerges out of tranquil pastures and ascends the hidden Arun River valley. Climbing and descending gradually, taking us from villages at 457m to the Khongma Pass at 3,090m, this trail gives us the best possible form of acclimatization. Beyond Num there are no villages. The track climbs all the way to Neghe Kharka, crossing the Barun Khola flowing from Makalu. The route to Sherpani Col (6,135m) involves a sustained period at altitude with some steep slopes, but rewards with powerful views of Makalu (8,463m) to the north and the aptly named Island Peak (6,160m) to the west. This is the realm of the glaciers, surrounded by the unforgettable presence of the world's mightiest mountains and brooding above the towering bulk of Everest itself.
A truly adventurous expedition to a remote and wild region of the Great Himalayas, with full logistic support. This is a journey that seeks a different route, a fresh perspective, and a challenge.
The route from Makalu Base Camp to the Everest region, which we follow, is over Sherpani Col - West Col - Panch Pokhari - Amphu Lapcha. Basically all these passes lie on the three main ridges of Baruntse. The southeast ridge drops down to Sherpani Col at 20,127 ft (6,135m); the south ridge has West Col at 20,154 ft (6,143m), and the west ridge, which ultimately joins Ama Dablam dips down to 19,193 ft (5,850m) at Amphu Lapcha. Amphu Lapcha is probably the most demanding phase with some exposed snow and ice work. You will need plenty of rope and anchors, as there are two long descents to be set up. This can take a long time with porters! It could be 14 hours a day crossing the first two Cols. Our guides know how best to approach this problem and we would suggest you leave it to them. You will need full mountaineering equipment and your party will need to be fit.
Day 01 : Arrive Kathmandu & Transfer to Hotel
Day 02 : Full day guided sightseeing around of the Kathmandu valley.
Day 03 : Flight to Tumlingtar and start trek to Khandbari (1040m – 4hrs). Camp
Day 04 : Trek to Chichila (1,830m) (5/6 hrs). Camp
Day 05 : Trek to Num (1,490m) (5 hrs). Camp
Day 06 : Trek to Seduwa (1,460m) (5/6 hrs). Camp
Day 07 : Trek to Tashi Gaon (2,070m) (5 hrs). Camp
Day 08 : Trek to Kauma (3,470m). Camp
Day 09 : Rest / Exploration day at Kauma. Camp.
Day 10 : Trek to Mumbuk (3,570m) (5 hrs). Camp
Day 11 : Trek to Nhe Kharka (3,000m) (6 hrs). Camp
Day 12 : Trek to Sherson (4,615m) (7 hrs). Camp
Day 13 : Trek to Makalu Base Camp (5,000m) (4/5 hrs). Camp
Day 14 : Explore the Makalu Base Camp.
Day 15 : Trek to Hillary Base Camp.
Day 16 : Trek to High Camp.
Day 17 : Exploration / Rest day.
Day 18 : Heading towards Sherpani Col (20,127 ft / 6,135 m), and Baruntse Base Camp
Day 19 : Trek to West Col (20,154 ft / 6,143 m), cross. Camp
Day 20 : Trek to Panch Pokhari. Camp
Day 21 : To Amphu Lapcha (19,193 ft / 5,850m), cross. Camp
Day 22 : Trek to Chukung (4,730m) (6 hrs). Camp
Day 23 : Trek to Dengboche (4,380m) (5 hrs). Camp
Day 24 : Trek to Tengboche to (3,860m) (4 hrs). Camp
Day 25 : Trek to Namche Bazar (3,440m) (4 hrs). Camp
Day 26 : Rest / Exploration day at Namche. Camp
Day 27 : Trek to Phakding, continue to Lukla (2,840m) (6 hrs). Camp
Day 28 : Flight: Lukla - Kathmandu. Hotel Overnight.
Day 29 : Free day to explore, and enjoy Kathmandu. Hot
Day 30 : Transfer to airport, departure own your own destination.
What is included?
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast as per the programme.
- Airport / Hotel transfers.
- Three meals in a day (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) with hot beverage and snacks whilst on trekking.
- Cosy guesthouse or Tented camp accommodation whilst on trekking.
- Makalu Barun National Park, Sagarmatha National Park and Trekker's Information Management System fees.
- All necessary staff with an experienced fluent English speakinglicenced trekking guide, cook and assistant guide (as per the group size).
- Highly experienced trekking porters to carry luggage (1porter per 2 trekkers).
- Staff food, accommodation, clothing, salary & insurance.
- All necessary ground transportation.
- All governmental paperworks and procedures.
- All government and local taxes.
- Satellite phones and Gamow bag.
- Exclusive Medical Kit Bag
- Farewell dinner in Kathmandu at typical Nepali restaurant.
What is not included?
- Visa fee for Nepal.
- International airfares, extra baggage and cargo charges
- Meals and extra night (more than stated in itinerary) accomodation in Kathmandu.
- Personal expenses
- Bar and beverage bills.
- Your Travel and rescue Insurance.
- Rescue & Evacuation costs.
- Your optional and extended trips e.g. sightseeing, rafting etc. (other than the negotiated)
- Gratitude (tip) for staff.
Highlights of the Trekking
Crossing over challenging steep slopes Sherpani Col, West Col, Amphu Lapcha La, dramatic scenery of the giant Himalayas including Mt. Everest (8848meters), Mt. Makalu (8463meters) & Mt. Lhotse (8516meters), Panch Pokhari Lake, Makalu Base Camp etc.
All conditions stated in the itinerary are for the visitors who prefer full package programme. At the same time, we also serve you based on your choice. The selection of itineraries and the staff depends on your choice and financial procurement. We have options for any partial visit as per your requirement and financial condition.
We would like you to know that although we try to follow the program given above, at times local trails or weather conditions may compel us to make slight changes if necessary. The itinerary may also vary slightly subject to our trekkers' acclimatization rates. This odyssey goes into untamed territory above the timberline, so we seek to request maximum flexibility if and when required for the safety of your trip and your life. Thank you so much for your understanding. We value your precious life.
Quick Fact of the Trip
- Trip Duration : 30 days
- Best Season : Spring & Autumn
- Country : Nepal
- Min Altitude : 1040meters
- Max Altitude : 6143meters
- Trip starts : Tumlingtar
- Trip ends : Lukla
- Group size : Min – 2